Lost A Relative In A Car Accident? You May Be Entitled to Compensation

Home > Blog > Lost A Relative In A Car Accident? You May Be Entitled to Compensation
car accident lawyers

| Preston Law

Car accidents can have tragic outcomes, not only for those involved in the accident but for the family members that are left behind!This can be a very difficult, distressing time and can also be an expensive time with medical and funeral costs. Dependants of the deceased person, usually their children and spouse can be left at a loss both financially and emotionally! If you have lost a relative in a car accident, you may be able to make a claim for compensation through Queensland’s Compulsory Third Party (CTP) scheme.At times of grieving it can be hard to think about finances, however, it is important to consider any claims for financial compensation before it’s too late!

What you must do:

  • Contact a Compensation Lawyer in Cairns for legal advice
  • Make sure the motor vehicle accident has been reported to police in witting
  • Obtain registration details of the vehicle at fault
  • Record any details of accident

Who was at fault?

To make claims for compensation, you will need to consider who was at fault in the accident.It doesn’t matter if your family member was driving a vehicle or was a bystander, you may still be entitled to compensation.

Likely compensation

The compensation that you may receive can vary depending on the situation.In most cases, you may receive compensation for the following:

  • Funeral, hospital, and medical expenses; and
  • Future financial support that your relative would have provided to you.

Factors to consider

The amount of compensation that you may receive will vary depending on a number of factors including:

  • The nature and length of the relationship between you and the deceased;
  • The level of financial contribution towards shared expenses; and
  • Any loss of income

At Cairns Compensation Lawyers, we understand that this is a difficult time and you may not be ready yet to make a claim.Unfortunately, time limits apply and so it is important to at least make contact and seek legal advice with a Lawyer as early as possible. 

Cairns Compensation Lawyers ph 4052 070