Most Australian workers really value their job. It enables them to keep a roof over their head, food on the table and pay for all the little extras that life likes to throw their way. A good job is hard to find and so we understand that if you have a good job, you don’t want to lose it. No matter how much you value your QLD job and how careful you are, accidents in the workplace can happen! If you have received an injury while at work or on the way to or from work in QLD, you are more than likely entitled to claim for compensation. Why is it then that so many people hesitate to bring claims for compensation? Don’t let fear of losing your job stop you from making a claim for compensation. An employer is not allowed to terminate your employment for making a workers compensation claim.
If you have been involved in an accident while at work or travelling to or from work, you are entitled to make a claim for compensation. WorkCover provides insurance to almost every employer in QLD. It is designed to provide compensation for workers, employees, contractors, and labour hire personnel if they have been injured at work. Most people will be able to receive compensation to cover a portion of their wages and any medical treatment required if they have been injured at work. Depending on what type of claim you make, you may also be entitled to a lump sum payment as well.
Can I lose my job?
- Your employer cannot fire you for making a workers compensation claim.
- Some employers may try to persuade you against filing workers compensation claims. This is usually to prevent their insurance premiums from being increased.
- There are legal consequences for your employer if they do terminate your employment because you made a claim.
- Don’t hesitate to make a claim for compensation. There are time restrictions on how long after your injury you can make a claim.You don’t want to find out it’s too late to make a claim!
- At Cairns Compensation Lawyers, we understand that some people fear losing their job from making a workers compensation claim.
- If you have received a work related injury, contact us at Cairns Compensation Lawyers. We can guide you through the claim process and offer advice where needed.
- If you believe that you have lost your job as a result of making a workers compensation claim, contact us for expert advice on your rights as an employee!
1/15 Spence St, Cairns